Auto Insurance Requirements in Louisiana
Every driver in the State of Louisiana must have auto insurance, or they could be subject to penalties and fines. If you live in the state, you must have liability coverage with the following minimums:
- At least $15,000 in bodily injury coverage for each person.
- At least $30,000 in bodily injury coverage for each accident.
- At least $25,000 in property damage coverage.
Drivers must also carry proof that they have an active policy, and the state will accept the following documentation:
- An insurance card that has been issued by the carrier.
- A copy of your auto insurance policy.
- A copy of your policy's declaration page.
The state of Louisiana will also accept a statement from your insurance carrier if it meets the following criteria:
- Has a letterhead with the same name of your carrier
- Is signed by your agent or a representative of your insurance company
- Has a detailed description of the vehicle being covered
- Has its vehicle identification number (VIN)
Be sure to speak to someone at Soto Insurance Agency to get more information about state-specific requirements.
Coverage Options for Louisiana Drivers
While the state of Louisiana only requires drivers to have liability coverage, you should consider adding some of the following options for your policy:
- Collision Coverage - Pays for any repairs that were caused by an accident.
- Comprehensive Coverage - Pays for any repairs that have been caused by other perils (like theft or bad weather).
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage - Pays for any expenses that resulted from an accident that was caused by someone who lacked or didn't have enough coverage.
- Medical Payments Coverage - Pays for any medical expenses (even funeral costs) for a specific period after an accident has occurred no matter who was at fault.
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage - Pays for a rental car after an accident has occurred.
- Towing and Labor Coverage - Pays for towing costs and some expenses related to repairs.
Be sure to talk to someone at Soto Insurance Agency to find out about the options that we have available. Also, try our online rating tool to get a quote for auto insurance.